Arbor Day celebration promotes campus beautification

• Kelsey Porter, freshman nursing major, draws her hand on a giant ribbon at the Arbor Day Festival April 25 on the Hornets Nest Deck. This was Emporia State’s second annual Arbor Day Festival, put on by the ESU Community Hornets. (Nicholas Sumner)

To celebrate Arbor Day, Emporia State received a very special award.

“For the first time, Emporia State University has been awarded a national recognition award from the Arbor Day Foundation known as Tree Campus USA,” said Victoria Harmon, junior accounting major and Community Hornets coordinator. “This is a national recognition for any two to four-year accredited university that completes an application that’s five core, five steps. One includes an Arbor Day celebration that is focused on tree care and environmental friendliness.”

The celebration occurred last Friday on the Hornets Nest Deck outside of the Memorial Union. President Michael Shonrock attended to complete the ceremonial plating of the plaque.

Another part of being Tree Campus USA was completing a campus tree care plan, which included plans such as pruning, the removal of trees and planting of trees. These plans were carried out after Friday’s ceremony with the help of volunteers, who donated about an hour of their time to help with the project.

“I think students get to feel like they left their mark,” Harmon said. “They contributed back to what the university actually looks like…Especially international students, they really love it.”

There were 152 volunteers who registered, but several came after registration, so it is estimated that there were around 175. Volunteers received a free frozen yogurt at Orange Leaf, and the first 150 received a free T-shirt.

“(I want to volunteer) because I killed a tree writing a research paper this week,” said Emily Giffin, freshman health promotion major and a former staff writer for The Bulletin.

Volunteers helped to complete projects in eight different zones, such as planting perennials, bushes and grasses, as well as planting one large tree near Roosevelt Hall.

“They’ll be going all over campus, so from anywhere from down by Visser all the way off campus to the Earl Center,” said Alex Hull, junior recreation major and Community Hornets coordinator. “It’s a campus beautification project…it’s just making the campus a more beautiful place.”