Filed under Sports Shorts

ESU smashes Lincoln to win MIAA title

To say that the Emporia State softball squad lit up Lincoln last Saturday would be an understatement. The Lady Hornets run-ruled the Blue Tigers in five innings being ahead by more than eight runs both games. The first game ended with a score of 15-3, while the second game was just a bit closer at 13-4.

The first game started quickly for the Lady Hornets as they tacked on three runs in the top half of the first frame thanks to a Jessica Gragg, junior infielder, home run that brought around Taylor Zordel, junior infielder and Stephanie Goodwin, junior outfielder. The next at bat for ESU saw an astonishing 10 runs cross the plate on just five hits making it 13-0 after only an inning and a half.

Game two started just as quickly as ESU had two runs in the top half of the first, thanks to four hits. They would score again in the top of the third, due to by a home run from Kaitlyn Caston, junior pitcher. In the fifth, they added another nine runs on 10 hits and two errors, essentially ending the game as it would be called due to run rule in the next half.

The Lady Hornets captured their eighth MIAA championship and will face Northeastern Oklahoma in Overland Park on May 1 in the first round of the MIAA tournament.