Filed under Football

Schiltz gets signed by Chiefs

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Devon Walker (59) tries to knock down a pass as Adam Schiltz, ESU alumnus (84), makes a reception during practice Sunday, Aug. 10 on the Missouri Western State campus in St. Joseph, Mo.

Photo Courtesy of Todd Weddle

Not all Division II football players make it to the National Football League. In fact, the number is very small. 

But Adam Schiltz, a former Emporia State tight end, did just that. He was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs earlier this month. 

Schiltz was a four-year starter for ESU and a key contributor to the 2012 team that won the Kanza Bowl. He spent last season on the practice squad of the Tennessee Titans. ESU’s current starting quarterback Brent Wilson, junior business major, who played with Schiltz at Ponca City high school in Oklahoma. Wilson cites Schiltz’s work ethic as biggest factor in his success.

“He worked his butt off, and look where he’s at now, you know, he’s in the NFL,” Wilson said. “His work ethic is unbelievable, and he worked really hard in the weight room. He was moving from a quarterback to tight end so he was working on his hands and he just worked really hard.”

Schiltz made a conversion from quarterback to tight end after high school, and had a positive outlook to get better every day. 

“Everybody wants to be the Pro Bowler. Everybody wants to be the star, but not everyone can be,” Schiltz said. “Obviously I want to play on Sundays, but for now I’m just trying to get better every day.”

Even though he has been busy the past few seasons, Schiltz said he still keeps close tabs on his alma mater. It means a lot to him to have helped start the culture that the ESU football squad has established.

“I followed them closely last season,” Schiltz said. “I think we established a culture to work hard and I hope the young guys keep that going. With Brent and Coach Higgins, I think they are in good hands.”

Garin Higgins, head coach, said Schiltz was a hard worker.

“He has good size and good hands and he was a four year starter here. That’s hard to do. He was more vocal as a leader later in his career,” Higgins said.