RSOs color campus with water balloon fight

• Students ready their water balloons for the start of the fight by the Student Rec Center Aug. 25. (Kathryn Martin)
  • Students admire their newly tie-dyed apparel after the water balloon fight Aug. 25. Organizations filled up many balloons with tie-dye color to assist students to making colorful clothing. (Kathryn Martin)

Students gathered on the practice football field to be splattered by water balloons filled with paint Monday, Aug. 25 at the Student Recreation Center. 

People Respecting Individuality and Diversity in Education (PRIDE), the sociology club and SOS Advocacy For ESU (SAFE) were the hosts of the water balloon fight.

The groups hoped to fill 1,500 balloons, but because they couldn’t find a hose and had so little time they were only able to fill about 300.

Along with balloons being filled with dyed water, there were buckets placed throughout the field with dye in them that participants could splash onto one another. This was a new event for the clubs and they hope to make it a tradition and improve it every year.

“I know we are planning on doing another one of these for spring semester, probably towards finals week because everyone is so stressed out and water balloons can be very therapeutic,” said Callie Bish, senior sociology major and treasurer of the sociology club. 

The ideals of all three clubs are similar. PRIDE’s goal is to create a safe place for people to embrace the differences that make up everyone.  SAFE focuses on creating awareness for human trafficking, dating violence and abuse and providing a safe place for victims to get the help they need. The objective of sociology club is to create a better understanding of the different areas of human society. 

“PRIDE, sociology club and SAFE. Have been thinking about doing this for awhile and we just recently brought it to realization and are really excited to see if we have some fun with water balloons today,” said Jeff Bollman, sophomore art major.

Students were encouraged to wear a white shirt or something they didn’t mind getting tie-dyed. By the end, everyone’s crisp white shirts were smeared with different colors and many had hand prints on the back as well. 

“It was a good way to get everyone together for the first time this school year. Kind of raise awareness that there are these clubs out there and it was just something fun after the first week of school,” Bish said.

Tayler Heitfield, freshman sociology major, attended the water balloon fight with five of her floor mates. Heitfield was the target of many balloons and ended up getting hit with more paint than she was able to throw.