Filed under Hornet Life

Students gather to ‘wipe out’ at Wooster

• Performing a dance routine, graduate students Marqueita Marisette and Brittany Riggs represent Zeta Phi Beta at Wooster Wipeout Aug. 23. The routine was to welcome students to the year during the Wooster Wipeout hosted by the Black Student Union. (Brittany Collins)
  • Racing his competitors around Wooster Lake, freshman Dustin Bittel rows around obstacles with his boating partner freshman Tristen Showers avoiding trees and fountains. Boat races were one of the many things offered at Wooster Wipeout held outside Morse Hall Aug. 23. (Brittany Collins)

Over 200 students crowded around Wooster Lake to play games, eat free food and relax at Wooster Wipeout last Saturday.

“We are really working on including and being more inconclusive about our intentions on campus so that people will know it’s not just for black people –  it’s for everyone,” said Paige Hicks, senior sociology major and president of the Black Student Union.

There was a wide variety of games including canoeing, soccer, a bean bag toss, sand volleyball, badminton and ladders. All who participated in the canoe rides were required to sign a release form and wear a life jacket while on the water.

“(My favorite thing was) canoeing. It was a new, fun and scary experience all at the same time,” said Alaxandra Ricks, sophomore crime and delinquency major. 

This year, in order to provide free food along with games, the Black Student Union combined the BSU barbeque, which had previously been hosted at Hammond Park, with the Wooster Wipeout.

“Last year, I think a lot of people really didn’t know about it and they didn’t know how to get to it, “ said Tiara Jones, senior rehabilitation services major and education chair for the Black Student Union. “So (Wooster) is more of a central location just so that when people are walking by they can get some food and play games.”

While some students went to canoe or play a game of sand volleyball, others stayed for the food. Cameron Reynolds, sophomore theater major and Joel Bowers, sophomore English major took advantage of the opportunity to get a meal for free.

“We were going to go to the caf but we saw the food so we stopped to see what was going on,” Reynolds said.