ASG gears up for new year

ASG gears up for new year

Cassie Holt

The senate members of Associated Student Government stand to take the oath of office Aug. 21. The senate members had to recite the oath after Taylor Kriley, one of the co-advisors of the Associated Student Government.

Associated Student Government held the first meeting of the year on Thursday, Aug. 21. The short meeting addressed several matters for the upcoming year and also swore in all current 2014-2015 ASG senators. 

Tyler Huddleston, ASG president and junior communication and Spanish major, announced that ASG will be working closely with the Campus and Communication committee to start renaming the streets and pedestrian walkways on campus. He also announced that “Can the Bods” will be supporting the initiative of the new campus food pantry this year.

Nathan Short, junior theater major and a Union Activities Council representative, said he was thankful to ASG for granting UAC a line-item increase for the first time since 1999. With this increase, campus events for this year include speakers from “The Buried Life” and “Girl Code” from MTV. There will also be a performance by singer/songwriter Tyler Hilton, as well as discounted tickets for the midnight premiere of “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1.”

The Buried Life is coming to campus Oct. 22, Tyler Hilton on Oct. 27, Girl Code on Nov. 20, and the premiere of “Mockingjay” is Nov. 22. 

“We’re (Union Activities Council) here to entertain the students, and we are very excited for the great line-up we have this year,” Short said.

President Michael Shonrock attended the meeting with positive and thankful remarks for this year. He addressed the Campus Master Plan and reaccreditation through the Higher Learning Commission. Every 10 years the university must be accredited through HLC and the university will be in the process of reaccreditation this year. 

“Part of the Campus Master Plan, we are constantly renovating things – King, Cremer, and Plumb and also more landscaping improvements on campus. There’s a little of excitement because there are some building projects down the road as well,” Shonrock said.

Shonrock has given ASG the opportunity to attend the Kansas Leadership Center on Sept. 5. 

Victoria Harmon, ASG vice president and junior accounting major, announced that there are still five senate seats available, three at large, one undecided and one graduate student. Also, this week will be the start of office hours for all ASG members.

A retreat is set for Aug. 29-30 for all ASG members. They will leave at 6 p.m. tomorrow and will return Saturday afternoon. 

“We’re taking all the rest of our senate down to Wichita for the retreat, and that’s where we’ll work on the rest of our calendar planning, the initiatives that we want to talk about throughout the school year and for all of us to get to know each other,” Harmon said.

The next ASG meeting will be at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 4 in the Senate Chambers on the third floor of the Memorial Union.