Student Foundation celebrates class gift

• With their “stingers up,” Josie Rozell, freshman secondary English education major, and Jordan Cook, freshman Spanish and pre-med major, pose as two of the first students to sit on the new bench. (Amanda Goering)

To celebrate the 2014 senior class gift, the Student Foundation provided “breakfast at the bench,” at 7:30 a.m. this past Monday.

“We chose donuts because we did ‘breakfast at the bench,’” said Jordan Foutch, junior information systems major.

Student Foundation set up their station at about 7:30 a.m. and stayed until 9 giving away free donuts.

“I was just walking by and saw the free donuts, so I stopped to see what was going on,” said Dalton Wheat, junior business management major. “The bench looks pretty good.”

Students had the opportunity to stop by the bench and grab a donut provided by Sodexo. 

“I love things like this that help campus out,” said Jordan Cook, freshman Spanish and pre-medical major.

Senior gifts, like the bench, come from Hornet Nation funds.

“We do a T-shirt every year – the Hornet Nation T-shirt,” Foutch said. “The students and alumni buy that T-shirt, and all that money goes straight back into senior class gifts and our student emergency assistance fund.”

The gift this year is of a bench with the words “I’m a Hornet!” engraved into the back. It is located at the convergence of six sidewalks between Plumb Hall and the Veteran’s Hall entrance of the Memorial Union.

“We decided on the bench from the (Campus) Master Plan,” Foutch said. “The first year we were doing the Student Foundation, we wanted to put in a bench and it didn’t come together, so we’ve been planning this for a while.”

Other senior gifts have been benches placed all around campus, as well  as parts of the fountain at the south entrance of campus.

“We picked this design from President Shonrock and his master plan,” Foutch said. “We walked around campus and picked a location and we did a couple of designs and just voted on it.”